Monday, September 1, 2008

Kudzu Challenge!!

I've been thinking. We are all faced with tasks that are unpleasant, or at times too overwhelming to even start. Right now, my husband and I are faced with the task (and challenge) of ridding our yard from kudzu. Look at these pictures... I know, are we crazy?

Over the past year, Tim and I renovated a house in Hampton Heights, an historic neighborhood
in Spartanburg. We are officially homeowners. Sweet. We spent the summer getting settled. Our yard is a different story. Friends of mine often say, "... when you own a house there is always something to do." I never really understood how this could be true. I was wrong.

On the weekends, Tim and I look at each other... now what? We talk about prioritizing and managing our house projects. We think about things like, "what can we easily and quickly accomplish?"; "what project is most critical?"; "what is the least expensive?"; and "what is the most unpleasant to do?" Yep, it is true.

I like to see results. Cleaning a bathroom, and sweeping floors are tasks where you see results immediately. Tackling the endless kudzu pit of a back yard does not render such quick and satisfying results. But, it still needs to be done if I ever want to see a change. So, little by little we carve out an hour here and an hour there to tackle this project. Doing it together makes it easier. Slowly, very slowly, we are starting to see progress. In facing unpleasant tasks, I have to remind myself of the big picture. In this case, a pretty kudzu free back yard.

Kudzu Madness
Wow. Kudzu Combat! At times, Tim and I are overwhelmed with this task. It definitely is hard to envision the final product.

Kudzu invasion
Kudzu invasion. Can you believe how close it is to our house?



No comments: