Monday, August 18, 2008

Welcome to Converse!

Get ready. A new chapter in life is about to begin - your college experience. In a few weeks, you will start your journey as a Pink Panther.

If you are living in Williams or Morris, I may see you on move-in day (August 21st). Many Converse faculty, staff, and upper class students will join together to help you move all of your college "essentials" into your room. If you are a commuting student, I will see you at check-in on Thursday afternoon in the Day Student Lounge.

If you have not finished reading The Silent Spring by Rachel Carson make sure you do that soon (don't be too stressed, I am also finishing it as well).

I am really excited to meet each of you and spending the upcoming semester together. Professor Woodrow Hughes, Associate Professor of Economics and Business, will be co-teaching this course with me. We are both looking forward to sharing pearls of wisdom to help you adjust and also succeed at Converse College.

On campus, I work as the Director of First Year Programs in the Campus Life Office (located right across from the mail room). I work with all incoming students by providing resources, and programs to help with the adjustment from high school to college. I love my job and especially all of the great students I get to know!!

For our Converse 101 class, you will also create your own personal blog. This format allows for a different way for us to connect, and be creative. My hope is this blog will allow you to express yourself, and capture some of the essence of your first semester in college.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Converse. I vividly remember my first day of college (which was almost ten years ago). Your excitement and jitters are perfectly normal. Trust me. Your college experience is a time for you to discover new interests, and learn more about yourself than you thought possible. Get ready.

No comments: